In his book, “What Got You Here Won’t Get You There,” Marshall Goldsmith discusses the habits that can prevent you from achieving even more success in your career. He identifies twenty bad habits that often hold people back, and provides strategies for overcoming them. If you are looking to take your career to the next level, this book is a must-read.
1. False beliefs distort your thinking
Goldsmith lays out assumptions that he has discovered are prominent among leaders, especially those with A-type personalities, that can stunt your career and personal growth.
“I choose to succeed” (“how our success makes us superstitious”) was one false belief that resonated with me. Leaders frequently believe that past victories may be repeated using the same methods and actions that got them to where they are now. This widespread and seemingly sensible belief might be preventing you from progressing in your career. It’s time to pivot, question false beliefs and change bad habits.
2. Habits that can prevent you from achieving even more success in your career
No matter how successful you are, there’s always room for improvement. And if you want to take the next step in your career, you need to focus on changing the habits that are holding you back. In his book, Goldsmith discusses the habits that can prevent you from achieving even more success in your career.
Some of these bad habits include:
- “Adding too much value” – always feeling the need to offer up your thoughts and opinions in every discussion.
- “Withholding information” – not sharing pertaining information to maintain control or to gain an advantage over others.
- “Failing to give proper recognition” – taking credit for co-workers
If you’re guilty of any of these behaviors or want to learn what other bad habits may be holding you back, give “What Got You Here Won’t Get You There” a read.